sábado, 19 de março de 2011


EXPRESSÕES DIÁRIAS PARA MELHORAR O SEU INGLÊS

Wanna bet? Quer apostar?

"to be out of" Estar sem. Não ter. Estar faltando. "Sorry, we're out of time."

"to OK" Dar aprovação. Concordar com. "Did he OK the loan?"

"to bug" Chatear. Encher o saco. "Stop bugging me!"

"to make it" Conseguir chegar.Chegar lá. Alcançar. "I'm happy you could make it to our meeting."

"Knock on wood" "Isola!"

"to come up with" Arrumar. Conseguir. Arranjar. "Where did you come up with that money?"

"to lollygag" Gastar o tempo sem fazer algo construtivo -ficar atoa -vadiar

to "become aware" Conscientizar-se "I didn't become aware of his problem until yesterday."

to "show-off" Se mostrar- querer apareçer- mostrar algo com orgulho "Jack showed-off his new jacket."

"ad hock" Improvisado - feito de qual quer jeito "He built his house ad hock."

"to give up" - desistir - se entregar "Keep trying, and don't ever give up."

"to be ashamed" - ficar com vergonha - sentir vergonha "I'm so ashamed of my brother."

"to let down" desapontar -decepcionar "Don't let me down."

"hey man" - e aí cara - e aí bicho "Hey man. How are you doing?"

"to rain cats and dogs" - chover muito "Today in Boston it's raining cats and dogs."

"mind your own business" - Cuide da sua vida. "I told him to mind his own business."

"to bust" - Quebrar - Detonar "I busted my finger."

"to bring up" - Mencionar - Comentar de "How do I bring up family problems?"

"to be ashamed" - estar envergonhado - com vergonha "I am so ashamed of my brother."

"copycat" - Quem sempre copia dos outros. - Uma cópia. "Don't be a copycat."

to "put up with" - Aturar - Suportar, aguentar "I won't put up with this any longer!"

to "keep an eye out for" - Ficar atento para... "You need to keep an eye out for your bus."

"Indian giver" - Quem dar um presente e depois pede de volta. "He's an indian giver."

to be "fed up" - estar de saco cheio "I'm fed up with you."

"passed it's prime" - vencido - sem valor por estar com muita idade "That soccer player is well past his prime."

"Knock it off!" - Pare com isso! "I told you to knock it off!"

"Hit the sack" - Ir dormir. - Cair na cama. "I'm tired. I'm gonna hit the sack early."

"to chill" - dar um tempo - ficar sem fazer nada "When I arrived home I chilled for an hour."

"A whole bunch" - um bocado - muito, bastante "I bought a whole bunch of tapes."

to "shoot the breeze" - bater um papo - conversar "I was shooting the breeze with Tom."

to "take a rain-check" - marcar para outro dia - reprogramar "He had to take a rain-check on our date."

"cop-out" - dar para trás - desistência sem motivo "Your excuse is nothing but a cop-out."

to "get in touch with" - entrar em contato - communicar-se "I need to get in touch with my bank."

"snail mail" - correios commun "Just send it by snail mail."

"fly by night" - não muito seguro -de qualidade duvidosa "That is a fly by night operation he runs."

to "crash" - dormir "I'm pretty tired and I'm gonna crash."

to "sleep-in" - dormir até mais tarde "Tomorrow I'm gonna sleep-in."

to "run out of" - esgotar - acabar estoque - acabar "I'm late because my car ran out of gas."

"in the mood" - afim de fazer algo - com vontage de "I'm not in the mood to go to the movies."

"how come?" - por que? "How come you're not at school today?"

to "pussyfoot" - evitar o assunto - driblar o tópico "Stop pussyfooting and tell me what happened."

to "make a bee-line" - ir em linha reta - ir direto até "Chad made a bee-line for the side of the ship."

to "make ends meet" - conseguir pagar as contas- ter dinheiro o suficiente "This month it was hard to make ends meet."

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário